[lug] Clock drifting

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Mar 28 17:46:12 MST 2006

John Hernandez wrote:
> Ever since I installed Ubuntu 5.10 on my system, my clock is running
> fast, to the tune of about 15-20 minutes/day.

Do you mean the hardware clock or the kernel clock?  Running fast
compared to what?

> I run ntpdate at boot, then I'm running ntpd, and ntpq shows sync with
> the time servers, but it only takes about an hour for things to drift
> noticably.  I can manually run ntpdate periodically, but I would rather not.

If you're running ntpd you should always be within a second of the
servers you're sync'd to.  If ntpd can't keep sync it should log error
messages.

> This didn't happen under my previous OS, FC4, although I suppose it may
> be coincidental, and something may have really broken during one of the
> several recent reboots.  Can somebody advise on how to troubleshoot this
> particular problem?

What's the output of ntpq -pe?  What do the server lines in your
ntp.conf say?

Dave