[lug] Time zone grumbling

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Mar 31 12:14:14 MST 2006

To resay what Nate said...

Daniel Webb wrote:
> I'm not sure if my problems right now are a symptom of Debian or the Linux
> world in general, but I've been using Linux for 7 years now and I have yet to
> see a sensible and consitent description and/or implementation of time on
> Linux.  For example, I chose (unwisely) the "use UTC" option when I installed
> a new Debian.  Now the "UTC" time gives the local time and the "local" time
> gives UTC-7.  So I should be able to change that, right?

This is not a timezone problem but a hwclock problem.  Reboot, get into
your BIOS setup, add 7 hours to the time, save & exit.  Voila.

You'll notice when you go into the BIOS that your clock is showing local
time.  But by saying "use UTC" you told Debian it was UTC.

Alternatively you can change UTC=yes to UTC=no in /etc/default/rcS.
That will be the same as if you hadn't said "use UTC" and the boot
scripts will understand that your hardware clock is in local time.  Do
this if you dual boot Windows.

Don't mess with any of the timezone stuff.

Dave