[lug] How to set up a private FTP account for a user?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Apr 1 00:07:49 MST 2006

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 10:30:25AM -0700, Bill Thoen wrote:
>I've got a need to provide upload/download FTP service for one of my
>clients, and I'm not sure how to go about it. I've got a RedHat FC2
>server set up with vsftpd, and I have set up a public FTP download

vsftpd doesn't support it, AFAIK.  I do that with proftpd.  Set up a
dedicated /etc/proftpd/passwd and /etc/proftpd/group file for it to use, so
that there is no system account.  You can also tune it to allow or deny
directory listing, overwriting existing files, downloading but not
uploading or the converse, etc...

Thanks,
Sean
--
 Get your data structures correct first, and the rest of the program will
 write itself.  -- David Jones