[lug] How to set up a private FTP account for a user?

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Sat Apr 1 07:10:40 MST 2006

Thanks Sean,

I sort of remember in the old days when you wanted to create a private FTP
account, you'd create a new user account and assign it a null shell (or
ftponly , or something like that) and then copy the FTP working files and
directories to the new user's directory, so that the only thing they could
do was FTP. But I'm a little vague on exactly what the process was now.

The fact that I see no mention of this with the vsftp docs, and now your
comment that it's not supported makes me feel a little better in that the
reason I couldn't find any mention of it is because it's not there. So I
think I'll take the easy route and just add a new user account for my
client. That will at least get the job done.

Thanks,

- Bill Thoen