[lug] file system frustration - the file that won't die?

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Apr 24 18:43:44 MDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 17:21 -0600, Ken MacFerrin wrote:
> This was all as superuser..  So according to "rm" it can't forcibly
> delete the parent directory because of this "block" file but according
> to "ls" and "file", the "block" file doesn't exist??
>
> lsof doesn't show this directory as being in use and I even tried to
> reboot to see if I could kill whatever was holding on to it, but no
> luck.  Filesystem is ReiserFS under LVM2..
>
> Suggestions??

Sounds like a job for fsck!  If it is your root partition you may need
to boot from a rescue CD or initrd / initramfs with ReiserFS fsck tools.

With ReiserFS you may be able to fsck a read-only mounted root
filesystem, but the ReiserFS tools make *no* guarantees that any file
access will work after fsck returns, since it may have completely
rewritten the tree.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>