[lug] Creating DVD for FC5 - trouble burning iso

Gordon Golding gordongoldin at netscape.net
Thu May 18 16:03:08 MDT 2006

I want to burn a DVD for FC5.

Things seem to go OK, but the DVD won't boot on 3 different machines (including the one I use to burn it). I've used a borrowed FC5 CD1, and they all boot off that.

Using Dell Precision WorkStation 370 with SATA drives and
Digital Video Disk Drive Read Write, 16X, HALF HEIGHT, PHILIPS, CHASSIS 2001
Loaded with FC3.

Downloaded FC-5-i386-DVD.iso
Did sha1sum - it was OK.

cdrecord –scanbus
gave:
0,1,0     1) 'Philips ' 'DVD+RW DVD8601  ' '6D11' Removable CD-ROM

cdrecord reported that the drive didn't support tao, added -sao.

cdrecord dev=help
gave the interfaces, I chose ATA

Did
cdrecord -inq dev=ATA:0,1,0
to make sure I got no funny messages

added dev=ATA:0,1,0

There are notes that cdrecord using -sao needs to know track size.

Internet showed, use:
mkisofs -R -q -print-size FC-5-i386-DVD.iso
gives:
>  1588881

The manpage for cdrecord on my machine, says:
...cdrecord needs to know the size of each track before starting to write the disk.  Cdrecord now checks this and aborts before starting to write.
If this happens you  will  need  to  run  mkisofs -print-size before and use the output (with "s" appended) as an argument to the tsize= option of cdrecord (e.g. tsize=250000s)

mkisofs -print-size FC-5-i386-DVD.iso
gives:
>  1588880

I got no complaint when I used no tsize, but I added one.

This isn't actually track size, but the number of extents to be written.

I've tried both values above, with speeds from 2 to 8

cdrecord -v -sao -eject speed=2 tsize=1588880s dev=ATA:0,1,0 FC-5-i386-DVD.iso

Seems to work.  I get the WARNING:
cdrecord: WARNING: Drive returns wrong startsec (0) using -150
Starting new track at sector: 0

But then nothing will boot from this DVD.

There is a note that suid breaks Linux-2.6.8.1, I'm on 2.6.12, but made sure I am real root.

There is a note that -dummy doesn't work for DVD+R.  I ran with -dummy and I didn't get errors or warnings.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.