[lug] Creating DVD for FC5 - trouble burning iso

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat May 20 08:36:21 MDT 2006

Gordon Golding wrote:
> I want to burn a DVD for FC5.
>
> Things seem to go OK, but the DVD won't boot on 3 different machines
> (including the one I use to burn it). I've used a borrowed FC5 CD1,
> and they all boot off that.

They can boot with a CD but not a DVD?  Are you sure the machines can
boot off a DVD?  Are you sure you have the right media for your burner?
  All that should work but I haven't paid much attention since DVD
recording was painful.

> Downloaded FC-5-i386-DVD.iso
> Did sha1sum - it was OK.

Did you do sha1sum on /dev/dvd after you burned the disk so you know
that it burned correctly?

The various ways I've tried to verify a burn was good have never
reported success, even when the CD was good enough.  Since you care
about booting you might use dd and just compare the first bit of the DVD
to the first bit of the iso.

Dave