[lug] Heartbeat and Firewalls

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Fri Jun 2 10:59:37 MDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 15:57 -0600, Dan Ferris wrote:
> Has anyone on the list ever set up a HA firewall using Linux and
> Heartbeat or keepalived?
[snip]
> And yes, I know that the state tracking data isn't replicated and we're willing to deal.

You know, I thought I read about some way to make that work, involving
having both systems up and running with the active IP and MAC address,
but the offline system has a DROP rule last in the output/forward
chains, and ARP response turned off.  Supposed to keep the state info
updated on the backup unit.  Can't do anything for the failed primary,
of course.

Not sure if it works since I haven't tried it.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>