[lug] Delaying Fedora Service Start

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Jun 12 13:34:46 MDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 13:25 -0600, Matt Thompson wrote:
> This is a pretty minor problem, but it'd be nice to solve.  On my FC5
> box, I use mpd, the Music Player Daemon, which should be loaded at
> startup.  And, indeed, the mpd service tries to load, but there is an
> ALSA problem or something.  So, after I log in, I usually have to have
> root start the service manually.  Thus, I'm thinking the mpd service
> needs a service which hasn't loaded when it tries on boot.
>
> Since I don't reboot that often, this isn't a big problem, but I
> wondered if there is a way to fix it.  I did check
> system-config-services and I see mpd there, but I don't see a way to
> reorder how they start.

You can just rename the links in the rc3.d directory to have different
numbers.  The numbers control the alphabetical order, which is what
controls the start order.

The really correct way to do it RedHat style is to edit the mpd init
script in init.d.  Find a line like  "chkconfig: 345 98 02" and edit the
numbers.  The second number is start order, third is stop order.  First
number is what runlevels to run in.

Then you'd do chkconfig --del mpd; chkconfig --add mpd

You know, another thing mpd could be missing is environment variables.
The environment set for init scripts is pretty sparse.

You could try adding a printenv > /tmp/mpd.log to the init script and
comparing that to root's printenv after boot to see what might be
missing.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>