[lug] laptop partioning, boot loaders

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Jun 12 18:45:05 MDT 2006

Thanks to all who replied, I was able to get the laptop partitioned and
properly set up with no surprises. At the moment it has FC5 on it, dual
boot with XP. I have to get some work done, so I decided to just use
what I know. However, I won't have anything on it that can't be deleted
a month from now, so at the end of a project I'll likely wipe it out and
try Ubuntu on it next (the live cd ran flawlessly, but I have nothing
wireless to test on at the moment so I don't know how wireless will do).

So...now I'm looking at wireless, and not sure exactly which of the
wireless products will actually work (although I've seen "general"
reports that the wireless items with this laptop do well with linux). It
has available 802.11a/g, but not b. It also has bluetooth. I happen to
have seen what looks like a very nice wireless Linksys WRT54AG dual band
2.4 GHz B/G-5 GHz A router on sale (which won't be on sale in a week and
probably will be out of stock prior to that):
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416826028&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Well, the information from the data sheet and other online data about
the WRT54AG isn't as complete as I'd like, it's more from a "wireless
for dummies" perspective (although I've been a dummy before, it doesn't
answer some of my questions). Especially since this particular wireless
router is able to simultaneously run both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz...and has a
4 port switch. There is an "infrastructure" mode for access to LANs,
which is what I'm interested in, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if
the 2.4 GHz G and 5 GHz A can be set independently? Or if they share
setup entirely?

Also, it talks about bridging, but I'm not certain that they mean this
in the technical way...it sounds kind of like marketing speak, perhaps
requiring yet more purchases  (YMMV). Specifically, I don't want it to
assign IP addresses, nor to consume any...I want true bridging. But I do
want to filter such that only the laptop's MAC can talk from the
wireless side, locked down cold and tight without some drive-by
script-kiddy getting in (I have to laugh, I still remember all the BLUG
presentations on this topic).

What I'd *like* to do probably is not possible...but maybe someone here
can tell me how possible it is, and whether the WRT54AG can do this.

I have a "safe" DMZ LAN that does not touch the outside world. It
connects only locally. Everything here so far has 2 NIC's, and only the
stuff not touching the outside world has any ability to do anything
interesting. I have a second wired network which talks to the outside
world on a cable modem, and is heavily firewalled. I'm hoping that
somehow I can take this dual band router and bridge the 802.11A to the
'safe' net with only the one MAC being allowed, and also connect the
802.11G side to the net with the cable modem, using this single wireless
device to access two separate wired LAN's and not let them overlap. I
don't think this is possible, I doubt the connections on the WRT54AG can
be set up separately, e.g., I doubt it is possible to connect 1 of the
switch ports to one net and another to another net. Can anyone confirm this?

Assuming I can't get one device to work on both nets, would two of these
units within say 15 feet of each other interfere and be a mess to avoid?

I'm wondering one more thing...the WRT54AG advertises 152 bit WEP
encryption. Is this sufficient, or is it like many of the others that
it's merely somewhat adequate and not even that if someone is determined
to abuse it? The 40 bit and older stuff is just a joke. I noticed one of
the other WRT54 variants advertised AES 128 bit encryption, but I'm
guessing that this would require custom drivers and would not be usable
on linux without great hassle.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net