[lug] Music manager

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 20:34:58 MDT 2006

On 6/21/06, Daniel Webb <lists at danielwebb.us> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 10:55:44AM -0600, Collins Richey wrote:
>
> > <rant>
> > CUPS is the FOSS poster child for the release then test philosophy,
> > and it has been true to form in the past few months. I managed to find
> > one clean dot release and got my Epson all-in-one configured, and I
> > wouldn't touch the setup with a fork now.
> > </rant>
>
> It wasn't CUPS in particular, but it was a few experiences like that which led
> me to decide I'd rather just use Debian stable.  At least with stable, once I
> work the problems out of it I'm golden for a couple of years until I want some
> new version of KDE or they get around to releasing another stable, and since
> I've switched to ratpoison the only thing I'm missing by not having a new KDE
> is Amarok, which would be nice, but not enough to suffer the pain of a new
> distro upgrade.

No problem with that approach, but it's not for me. I like to fly a
little closer to the ground, so I get pavement burns from time to time
<grin>.

As a side note, after 7+ months on KUbuntu Dapper (now 6.06), the only
real problems I've encountered are CUPS and now growisofs (used by
k3b, etc.). At present there's some sort of bug that results in
burning coasters. Since I have no critical need to burn DVDs, I can
wait until it's fixed. I haven't kept up with what's in stable - does
it even burn DVDs?

--
Collins Richey