[lug] NSLU2 on sale at OfficeMax(?)

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Fri Jun 30 10:46:44 MDT 2006

It's probably too low-powered. It only has 2 USB ports and a cat-5
network port.

On the rest, my information is several months out-of-date. Printers and
usb wifi are the most popular items (after disks and thumb drives), but
I think other things have been attached as well. I seem to recall that
some people reported having problems when they chained devices, but that
may only apply when using the Linksys/Cisco image, not a reflashed one.

I'm not sure on running different OS flavors. The problem is that the
kernel needs to be in the flash even if everything else is on disk. It's
no different from using a rescue disk that boots the system from CD-ROM
but pivots to the hard disk. Maybe somebody has written a two-stage
booter that lives in flash but can boot an arbitrary kernel off of an
attached drive.

I think it can do a network wakeup, but would have to check the wiki to
be sure.

HTH