[lug] Gnome rant and request for suggestions.

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Tue Jul 11 00:32:05 MDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 08:28:22PM -0600, Andrew Diederich wrote:

> If you can't go all the way to ratpoison (http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/)
> it's a good choice.

Down with the rat!

Seriously though, if you don't see the point of changing which program you're
looking at with the mouse, take a look at ratpoison.  It depends on how you
use the computer.  The vast majority of my time in front of the computer I'm
using Vim, Mutt, Xterm/Screen, or Firefox.  All of those (can be) completely
keyboard based, although with Firefox some tasks are faster using the mouse
even with the keyconfig and mouseless browsing extensions.  The mouse still
works fine with applications in ratpoison, there just aren't any window
manager functions accessed with the mouse (because the window manager is
completely invisible, although you can pull up window, workspace, or clipboard
menus in my config).

Also, if the visual reference is important (like if you remember where
programs are through visual memory) ratpoison would really stink, since
there's no visual at all, just borderless full-screen windows.  I thought this
would be a problem for me since I was so used to certain applications being
certain places in my workspaces in KDE, but it hasn't been a problem at all.

If you move around to a lot of different text-based windows and workspaces,
though, and want to do it fast, it's very nice.  It's definitely only for a
small subset of weirdos like me, but I have a feeling there is a higher than
average weirdo load on this list.

Also, the default config really stinks, so go to my web site and get my config
if you want to play with it, at least as an example to start with.