[lug] Kernel compile -devfs

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Jul 17 17:46:05 MDT 2006

Jason Davis wrote:

>Hello,
> I have a dual cpu Amd64 box. It running Debian stable. However the
>install did not set up a SMP kernel so only one of my CPUs is showing
>up. I compiled a kernel and built ext3 and the sata drivers for my
>board.
>
>If i try to not use a initrd image the root file system cant be mounted.
>Can some suggest what Im leaving out. If i use an initrd i get a kernel
>panic saying the dev/console can not be loadded.
>
>I have googled the messages I get. I have tried a few things I found
>(like install udev/devfsd) Still I get the same error.
>
>Questions:
>1. Why is /dev/console not being found at boot?
>2. How can I use udev and not devfs?
>3. Besides ext3 ,scsi , sata , what do i need to build into my kernel to
>not need initrd?

Is this a 2.6.17 kernel? If so, I've been unable to get one too boot on
the laptop using almost the same config as the working 2.6.16 kernel. I
get"mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'" on it which I've been
unable to figure out. My initrd specifically includes the ext3, SATA and
other drivers which worked with the 2.6.16 kernel. Further research
shows that this is the kernel release which deprecated and removed
devfs, so I'm wondering if it is related. Anyway, you might try telling
it (just for testing) that the root partition is ext2 instead of ext3.
Ext2 works fine on ext3, but turns off journaling. If that fixes it,
then you'll know it was only missing ext3 support (and the initrd can be
told to preload controller and filesystem support while building the
initrd). If not, it likely is the udev/devfs thing, which I suspect is
my problem as well (FC5, 2.6.17.4).

I have not found anything special to do that makes it work with udev,
and wonder if anyone knows of something required for udev to work (aside
from keeping package versions correct as per kernel source
Documentation/Changes)? I'm thinking about wiping the FC5 and trying
kubuntu since the everything works on the live cd...but then it doesn't
use the 2.6.17 kernel so I suspect this might be a problem there too.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net