[lug] Kernel compile -devfs

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Jul 17 19:05:19 MDT 2006

Jason Davis wrote:
> Hello,
>  I have a dual cpu Amd64 box. It running Debian stable. However the
> install did not set up a SMP kernel so only one of my CPUs is showing
> up. I compiled a kernel and built ext3 and the sata drivers for my
> board.

You didn't say which kernel, which makes a difference.  2.4 doesn't work
with udev.  2.6 uses module-init-tools rather than modutils (which will
prevent you from loading any 2.6 modules).

Did you make it with kernel-package?  I would guess that the resulting
package will build an initrd that will work, especially if the kernel
the installer used has a working initrd.

Dave