[lug] CUPS question

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Jul 19 19:31:57 MDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 19:14 -0600, Bear Giles wrote:
> I've been setting up a color laserjet printer today (review probably to
> follow) and have been having problems with CUPS.  I eventually thought
> to verify that everything had stopped when I shut down the CUPS
> system... and discovered that there were three daemons hanging around.
> (And probably interfering with subsequent attempts to reconfigure the
> print drivers -- I haven't been able to get anything to the printer in
> over an hour.)
>
> Even kill -9 won't kill them.
>
> My first, second and third gut reaction is to wipe CUPS off the earth.
> Or at least off my system.
>
> But I wanted feedback from the community.  I know that many people think
> that CUPS is much better than LPRng, but I'm underwhelmed to say the least.

If kill -9 won't kill them and "ps xa" shows them in a D state (a T
state is frozen from ptrace and is a different problem.  A Z state won't
kill either, its already dead.), your problems are not CUPS, its your
kernel.  Whatever device those daemons are accessing is frozen up.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>