[lug] CUPS question

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 22:39:16 MDT 2006

On 7/19/06, Bear Giles <bgiles at coyotesong.com> wrote:

> My first, second and third gut reaction is to wipe CUPS off the earth.
> Or at least off my system.
>
> But I wanted feedback from the community.  I know that many people think
> that CUPS is much better than LPRng, but I'm underwhelmed to say the least.

Here's the scoop. When CUPS works, it works well; when it fails, it
continues to fail over many dot releases. CUPS is arguably the poorest
tested FOSS project I've yet encountered. They should be ashamed to
foist some of their crap on the unsuspecting.

OTOH, I haven't used LPRng in a long time, so I don't know whether
that software has kept up with the new devices.

YMMV,

--
Collins Richey