[lug] CUPS question

bgiles at coyotesong.com bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu Jul 20 06:46:31 MDT 2006

I should add something -- inkjet printers are designed to smear slightly.
That blends the inks and you don't get visible half-toning since adjacent
pixels will blend slightly.  I think that's also the reason behind banding
-- the inks on each pass blend, but the ink's already dry by the time the
print head makes the next pass.  It definitely leaves text a little
blurry, IMHO.

Laser printer toners do not smear.  This makes text crisp, but it is also
unforgiving on pictures.

The bottom line is that it comes down to your needs.  If it's mostly
printed material with some color (e.g., syntax coloring, UML diagrams,
accent colors in reports, logos, and the occasional picture) a laser
printer is far better than an inkjet printer.  If it's mostly pictures,
esp. smaller ones that are blown up to the full page, then an inkjet
printer will be better for your needs.

Bear