[lug] Testing Remote offset backup with Slug

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Aug 7 17:40:25 MDT 2006

siegfried wrote:
> I'm going nuts trying to test my slug (linksys NSLU2 NAS controller). I'm
> trying to install openvpn on my slug so I can implement remote offsite
> automated bootable backup using nightly rsync and I need somewhere to plug
> in my slug. I need a fixed IP and someone that can program their firewall to
> forward a ssh and openvpn ports to my slug (a linux network node).

I would say that you should get it working on your LAN first, then see
about moving it off site.  Assuming you're on a 10/24 LAN:

10.0.0.2 - your computer
10.0.0.3 - the slug (uses port 1194 for openvpn)

10.0.1.2 - your computer's VPN IP (the tun device)
10.0.1.3 - the slug's VPN IP (tun device)

Now if you can connect openvpn and ping/rsync/ssh/whatever from your
computer to 10.0.1.3 you're all done.  When you move the slug you change
it from 10.0.0.3 to the new LAN (and change the VPN config too).

The firewall rule is simple, just port 1194 and NAT if necessary.

You might want to pick something random for the VPN network (10.0.1.0
above).  It can't match any of the other networks you use if you want to
keep your sanity.

Dave