[lug] Off topic: java form-based authentication in a client program

Jim Buzbee jbuzbee at nyx.net
Wed Aug 30 11:00:36 MDT 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Michael J. Hammel wrote:

> A browser-based login works just fine.  But I'm having problems finding
> information on how to programmatically login from the Java client.

Hi Michael - I'm not sure this is what you want, but here's a java
fragment that accesses a password-protected web site.  It relies on
another Base64Converter class that can be found on-line.

Jim

---

import java.awt.*;
import java.io.*;
import java.net.*;

public class Install
{
    public static void fetch(String address, String pw)
       throws MalformedURLException, IOException
    {
        String line;
        URL url = new URL(address);
        URLConnection uc = url.openConnection();
        String encoding = Base64Converter.encode("demo:" + pw );
        uc.setRequestProperty("Authorization", "Basic " + encoding);
        InputStream content = (InputStream)uc.getInputStream();
InputStreamReader(content));
        while ((line = in.readLine()) != null) { }
    }
    public static void main(String[] args)
        throws MalformedURLException, IOException
    {
        fetch( args[0], args[1]) ;
    }
}