[lug] New here, Favorite Distros?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 21:01:10 MDT 2006

On 9/5/06, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> Matthew Snelham wrote:

> [...]
> > (... There are good reasons to deploy stable lifecycle systems, but
> > they're often applied over-broadly.)
>
> My gut tells me the "good reasons" are willingness to rely on low
> quality software.  Or maybe lack of imagination.

Not necessarily "low quality" but certainly antequated software within
a few months of release. Backporting of some but not all fixes clouds
the issue even more.

Certainly <OT> here and worthy of a new thread. I'm curious how well
the continuous upgrade model can handle the continual urge of major
components (glibc, gcc, kernel to name a few) to reinvent the APIs on
a (seemingly and depressingly) continual basis.

--
Collins Richey