[lug] Anyone want CACert Assurer points?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Sep 11 20:09:42 MDT 2006

For those not in the know, CACert is another certificate authority, using a
more grassroots approach than Verisign or the like.  It uses a web of trust
to certify people for SSL web server certificates and the like, e-mail,
etc.  By using assurers located around the world, kind of like "digital
notaries", you can meet up with other local people in your area and get
certified.

While there are tons of CACert assurers in Boulder, I'm thinking about
coming down to BLUG on Thursday and wondered if anyone was interested in
becoming an assurer.  I currently have "Super Assurer" status, meaning that
I can make for a fast-track to the 150 (maximum) points.  Traditionally, it
would require that you get assured by at least 3 people and assure another
25 people to get 150 points.

I usually play it by ear, but if I can get enough interest I can make sure
we make this happen.  The "Super Assurer" status is very temporary, I have
it because there aren't enough points in Fort Collins for anyone else to be
assured through the "Web of Trust" mechanism.  I sent in my papers to
Australia and it took from mid-May to early September to get through.

Basically, if you are interested it requires that you have two forms of ID,
one with photo (Drivers license, SSN card, INS card, passport, birth
certificate), and that you create an account at cacert.org, preferably
before or at the BLUG meeting.

Thanks,
Sean
--
 Linux, because eventually you grow up enough to be trusted with a fork().
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/