[lug] Anyone want CACert Assurer points?

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Mon Sep 11 23:31:33 MDT 2006

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> For those not in the know, CACert is another certificate authority, using a
> more grassroots approach than Verisign or the like.  It uses a web of trust
> to certify people for SSL web server certificates and the like, e-mail,
> etc.  By using assurers located around the world, kind of like "digital
> notaries", you can meet up with other local people in your area and get
> certified.
>
> While there are tons of CACert assurers in Boulder, I'm thinking about
> coming down to BLUG on Thursday and wondered if anyone was interested in
> becoming an assurer.  I currently have "Super Assurer" status, meaning that
> I can make for a fast-track to the 150 (maximum) points.  Traditionally, it
> would require that you get assured by at least 3 people and assure another
> 25 people to get 150 points.
>
> I usually play it by ear, but if I can get enough interest I can make sure
> we make this happen.  The "Super Assurer" status is very temporary, I have
> it because there aren't enough points in Fort Collins for anyone else to be
> assured through the "Web of Trust" mechanism.  I sent in my papers to
> Australia and it took from mid-May to early September to get through.
>
> Basically, if you are interested it requires that you have two forms of ID,
> one with photo (Drivers license, SSN card, INS card, passport, birth
> certificate), and that you create an account at cacert.org, preferably
> before or at the BLUG meeting.

Hey.. good timing.  I just finished switching my personal server to use
CACert certificates and received my first "assurance" last week..  I'd
be interested in becoming an assurer.

Actually, I've been lurking and posting on this list for a few years now
but never had the chance to attend a meeting so this would be a good
excuse to get down there.

-Ken