[lug] Hosting Question

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Sep 30 01:13:19 MDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 04:44:17PM -0600, dio2002 at indra.com wrote:
>It seems that serving professionally from home is really impossible unless
>you want to spend a lot of money to get a dedicated line (T1 or something)
>routed to your house.  Anyone out there have any experience with this kind
>of arrangement?

I don't understand why people even think of this option these days...  A T1
usually costs at least $250/month, and provides no redundancy.  Sure, a T1
is a "business class" service and they do tend to have a high priority for
repair, but they do have issues from time to time.  If your service is
important enough that DSL-level reliability won't cut it, a single T1
probably won't either.  You'd want to look at two of them doing
"multi-homing" routing (something not usually available on any
less-expensive services).

In comparison, (just because I'm most familiar with it) we offer dedicated
hosting where we provide a machine, standby spare hardware, networking
and power, including management and monitoring, for $150/month.  So, for
less than a single T1 you get 100mbps burstable bandwidth with redundancy
(again, option vary and I'm just mentioning what tummy.com has because
I know it), redundant power and cooling, *AND* the computer.

It seems like a no-brainer to me.

Unless you're looking at hosting quite a few boxes, it doesn't make sense
to bring in a T1.  Even the SpeakEasy "T1" equivalent service costs
$110/month, and I don't believe they offer any sort of multi-homing routing
capabilities for that.

Sean
--
 If you don't have time to do it right, when will you ever find time to do
 it over?