[lug] Hosting Question

Ryan Kirkpatrick linux at rkirkpat.net
Tue Oct 3 07:58:56 MDT 2006

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 07:40:23AM -0600, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:
> >*) Business DSL line from Qwest, 1Mbit up, 1.5Mbit up, with 16 static IPs,
>
> I think I've mentioned it before, but remember that QWest quotes ATM frame
> rates, not IP rates.  Because of ATM overhead, you only get around 80% of
> that number for TCP/IP throughput.  Still, it's fairly symmetric compared
> to other offers, which is cool, but actual throughput is more like
> 1.2mbps down/800kbps up.

That is true, just forgot to mention it. When I setup the DSL line back in
Nov 2005, speed tests (SpeakEasy's) showed 757kbps up and 1264kbps up,
which is indeed about 80% of line speed. I got these numbers both with the
provided ActionTec router and with the (Linux supported) Sangoma ADSL PCI
card I am currently using. TTYL.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |