[lug] MySQL work queue problem

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Oct 9 12:20:23 MDT 2006

I also prefer other engines over MySQL, but I did just start looking at it
for this one particular test I'm working on.  This test involves putting a
relatively large amount of data into a table and then doing exclusively
reads against it from that point on.  So, this may actually play to one of
MySQL's strengths.

The other thing I noticed in researching it is that they have TINYINT and
MEDIUMINT.  In Postgresql I'm limited to either 16 or 32 bit small ints,
where in MySQL it has 1, 2, 3, and 4 byte ints.  Because of the higher
precision, I may be able cut the database size by a third, which is
probably a good thing.

So, it's probably worth trying out...

I still prefer PostgreSQL though.

Thanks,
Sean
--
 People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.
                 -- A. J. Liebling