[lug] excluding directories with rsync

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Oct 11 16:14:36 MDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 15:43 -0600, Paul Nowosielski wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm trying to setup an rsync script to push data from a dev box to a live box.
>
> The files live in different directories under /var/www
>
> I need to exclude 5 of the directories and their content from being
> propagated.
>
> I've found a command to exclude files but not directories.
>
> Does anyone know of a command or switch to do this?
>
> Thank you,

--exclude works fine for both files and directories.
For example, here is the command from a backup script I used to use:

ssh oberon rsync -az \
        --password-file=/root/rsync-password \
        --verbose \
        --verbose \
        --numeric-ids \
        --delete --delete-excluded \
        --exclude=/proc \
        --exclude=/sys \
        --exclude=/tmp \
        --exclude=/var/tmp \
        --exclude=/usr/tmp \
        / snapshot at green::snapshots/${newdir#/home/snapshots} \

--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>