[lug] excluding directories with rsync

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Oct 12 04:10:20 MDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 03:43:57PM -0600, Paul Nowosielski wrote:
>I need to exclude 5 of the directories and their content from being
>propagated.

As others have mentioned, rsync can do directories as well.  Read the man
page, it has *EXTENSIVE* options for file selection that only reading the
man page can really do justice to it.  The short form is that you can
specify a directory by giving a trailing /.  So "sys/" matches any
directory named "sys", where "sys" matches a file or directory.  And
"/sys/" matches only the directory named "sys" at the root of the rsync
file-system.

Thanks,
Sean
--
 Brooks's Law of Prototypes: Plan to throw one away, you will anyhow.
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/