[lug] Getting frustrated with gnuplot

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Wed Oct 11 23:00:59 MDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 10:06:28PM -0600, Evelyn Mitchell wrote:

> R does lovely plots:
>    http://www.r-project.org/
>    http://www.r-project.org/screenshots/screenshots.html
>
> 3d bar charts, unless your data actually has 3 dimensions, are terribly
> misleading.

I looked briefly at that page even before I wrote the email, but didn't see
that it can create contour plots like a topo map.

My data is from a parametric study with 5 values each of 2 independent
parameters, for a total of 25 data.  Each combination of parameters results in
a real-valued output and also a true/false output.  If you can think of a
better way to represent that than a 3D bar plot with the height of the bars
determined by the real-value output and the thatching of the bar determined by
the true/false output, I would love to know because I'd love to use gnuplot
and not have to learn something new.  Any non-discrete representation of this
data will be somewhat misleading because it is a small enough amount of data
that it shouldn't be considered continuous.