[lug] Huge stack size--any reason to avoid?

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Oct 25 13:48:42 MDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 13:24 -0600, Vince Dean wrote:
[snip]
> For new work, I would first give serious consideration to a
> language like Java, with automatic memory management, other
> things being equal.

You don't need to switch languages to get better memory management.  You
can use garbage collection in C or C++.  On my Gentoo system the package
is called boehm-gc, and it gives you a decent garbage collector that you
can replace malloc, calloc, realloc and free with.

In C++ you can use garbage collection libraries (boehm-gc includes C++
support) or you can get nearly the same effects by disciplined use of
factory methods and smart pointers.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>