[lug] Distribution followup

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Nov 7 00:35:20 MST 2006

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 07:44:58PM -0500, Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
>something strange to the global settings) that using the xorg.conf from SuSE,
>which at least understands wide screen lcds, does not seem to fix. All the
>fonts in places like the kmail folder list  and the Konqueror bookmarks list

A couple of things...  One is that if you are changing versions of KDE,
I've often found that you have to just "mv .kde .kde.old" and have the
system create you a new .kde directory, so that it doesn't get confused by
old settings.

I am having a similar problem since switching from my 1600x1200 display to
1024x768, though not as drastic as you might imagine.  On my 1600x1200
display I found the default font was just a bit too small, but my attempts
to use the Properties box to increase font size just totally hosed a lot of
pages.  Like /. showing up with 3 inches in the middle of the screen for
the articles...

Kevin finally one day was playing with the xorg.conf setting
"DisplaySize" in the "Monitor" section, and through this I was able to get
the default Preferences settings to show a good font size on my display.

However, the 1024x768 is just a little too big.  I need to do the same
thing.  However, I've been busy with just getting work done, so instead
I've been hitting Ctl-Minus several times when I'm on a page that has
gigantofontitis.

Sean
--
 Linux:  Bring back that "greased weasel" feeling.
                 -- Sean Reifschneider, 1998