[lug] CLUE Installfest next Saturday: install or upgrade fed core 4->6?

Charles Hutchinson chutchin at geekboi.org
Thu Nov 9 06:42:30 MST 2006

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 06:07:46PM -0700, David L. Anselmi wrote:
>
>> How do you set up your RPM repository for net installs?
>>

> I don't start from ISO sources these days, but when I did I just copied
> them all into the same directory.  You could use the unionfs to merge them
> all into a single directory easily enough, or you could use a simple script
> to create a butt-load of Apache Alias lines for each distro to make what
> looks to the clients like a unified directory.
>
> I'm sure with some quality time spent with mod_rewrite, you could probably
> have it do that automatically.  ISTR that there's a way to add a rewrite
> condition based on the existance of a file on the file-system.  Something
> like:
>
>    RewriteCond REQUEST_URI -d /path/to/fedora/1/$1
>    RewriteRule ^/fedora/(.*)$ /fedora/1/$1 [L]
>    RewriteCond REQUEST_URI -d /path/to/fedora/2/$1
>    RewriteRule ^/fedora/(.*)$ /fedora/2/$1 [L]
>    [...]
>
> Or you could build a directory full of sym links to the other directories
> and turn on FollowSymLinks.  There are so many ways you could make it
> happen...
>
> Sean

Anaconda, the installer that Fedora/RedHat uses can install over
ftp/nfs/http directly from the iso files.  If you boot from one of the
floppy/cd images in the images folder of the first CD.  The boot.iso
file is a very small cd image.

If you boot off of it and chose a network install you can point it at
the directory where the iso files are and it will install from there.
Nothing else needs to be done with the images.  You don't need to mount
them loopback, burn them to disk or unionfs them into one file.

Charlie