[lug] distribution favorites?

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Mon Nov 13 12:38:48 MST 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 04:20:48AM -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> >How many versions are they going to be concurrently backporting security fixes
> >for, by the way?
>
> The number I've heard is 5 years, that seems to be what their site says.  I
> think it's RHEL that is doing 7 years.  If you do the math, 5 years at a
> release every 6 month is something around 10.

I'm getting my free Ubuntu CD shipped to me, sounds interesting.

But I still am a bit skeptical.  Are voluteers doing these security backports
for 10 different versions on 4 or 5 platforms every time an exploit comes
along?  These fixes are often not trivial, especially when talking about 5
year old code.

What I'm really getting at is: is their organizational structure sustainable
like Debian?  Or are they being propped up by company money or anything else
which will cause their distro to collapse when it disappears?  If not, then it
looks very good to me.