[lug] Stopping the New Generation of Spam

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Dec 5 22:57:53 MST 2006

John Dollison wrote:
> Hey, what if we put all our messages on paper, and folded them and put
> them in little flat paper containters, and wrote the receipient's
> address on the outside of the container?  Of course, the downside is
> that we'd have to come up with some sort of collection, sorting, and
> distribution system to get these "paper e-mails" to their final
> destination.  And then, of course, someone would probably find some
> way to charge us for "delivery fees," which could conceivably cost
> almost 40 cents each.  But I bet it would cut down on useless spam
> (like this one)...
>
> OK, I'm done amusing myself... we now return to our regular programming...
>
> John
No thanks.  I get more paper junk mail than junk email.  I keep wishing
for a spam filter for the paper.

I went through my mail piles tonight.  I had junk in there back to Feb
2005 (I do a sort of pre-sort when it comes in and toss the rest in a
box.)  I had in fact missed some, including a $75 dental care refund
from my health insurance.  Oh well.  Strangely, that doesn't even bump
my interest in actually opening my mail.  I suppose that means I'd be
happy to pay $75 a year for paper spam filtering.  New business idea for
someone, there. :)