[lug] Blog Software?

Elyse M. Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Wed Dec 6 18:28:58 MST 2006

On Wednesday 06 December 2006 8:15 pm, David Morris wrote:
> I'm looking for suggestions on linux blog software which can
> meet the following requirements:
>
> - Runs on Linux (duh) through an Apache2 web server
> - Posts can be tagged with a group (e.g. Programming,
>   Photography, etc.)
> - Posts can be sorted by group.
> - Posts can be sorted by time in either direction.
> - Posts can be tagged as only viewable by certain users.
> - Users can only make comments if registered.
> - User registration is accomplished by a simple form where
>   an email address and alias are entered and a password
>   is emailed to that address.  All other details are
>   optional.  Password recovery based on the same mechanism.
> - Back-end script-able storage mechanism.  Specifically, I
>   need to be able to create a Python application which will
>   create posts from a cron job.
>
> Those are my absolute requirements, everything else is
> optional.  I'm hoping something that fits the bill already
> exists so that I don't have to write my own.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> --David

I'm using Blosxom, which was written in Perl but I believe has a python
variant or input mechanism or both. There are dozens of plugins to do all of
the things you ask for and more. I haven't played with the password and
registration facilities yet. Kind of moot without commenters...

Once I'm back in Colorado (next week! yay!) I'm going to fix the hosting to
something less clunky. The current URL is the result of the way my ISP does
virtual hosting CGI.
--
Elyse Grasso

http://www.data-raptors.com    Computers and Technology