[lug] AC97 sound on recent kernel?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Dec 8 14:37:03 MST 2006

Nate Duehr wrote:
> Bear Giles wrote:
>
>> The new kernel, from Debian testing, only has one AC97 driver.  No
>> sound though.  It's definitely not the speakers or plugging the
>> speakers in the wrong place.
>
> Linux sound is still generally as FUBAR as it's always been.  :-)

p.s. Look through alsamixer (not alsamixer-gui, not any gnome or kde
things, not the old aumix... very specifically alsamixer) if you're
running ALSA... and fidget with the various switches for routing the
audio to different things.

I had a laptop with the Intel chipset that always came up in the wrong
default mode for one of the fancy audio switches designed to do SPDIF or
something... I just wrote a script to get alsamixer to change it to
something sane (after it set it wrong) every time the box booted.

Nate