[lug] AC97 sound on recent kernel?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Dec 8 14:32:54 MST 2006

Bear Giles wrote:

> The new kernel, from Debian testing, only has one AC97 driver.  No sound
> though.  It's definitely not the speakers or plugging the speakers in
> the wrong place.

Linux sound is still generally as FUBAR as it's always been.  :-)

I could give a general history of what it is like to support some 1000+
machines and owners of those machines I don't know via our volunteer
support group for our VoIP project, but it's too painful.

Linux sound issues are many, and varied.

What kind of chipset are you running and on what kernel/distro?  I'll
try to help...

By the way, the "forever fix" for Linux audio issues seems to be... "Buy
a cheap SB Live card and disable the on-board sound".  They always work
right.  :-)

I'm more stubborn that that, usually -- haven't resorted to the "I give
up, where's the SB Live card?" moment... yet.  But the more I mess with
it, the more that fix seems tantalizing.

"Who needs this crap?  Time to go outside and do something in the fresh
air." is more and more appealing as I get older.

Nate