[lug] AC97 sound on recent kernel?

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Fri Dec 8 17:40:23 MST 2006

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 02:32:54PM -0700, Nate Duehr wrote:

> Linux sound is still generally as FUBAR as it's always been.  :-)
>
> I could give a general history of what it is like to support some 1000+
> machines and owners of those machines I don't know via our volunteer
> support group for our VoIP project, but it's too painful.
>
> Linux sound issues are many, and varied.

Hehe.  If you've seen my posts on this list about sound you know I agree.

However, I've been impressed so far with Etch.  ALSA has been a step up for me
(I know... it's been around forever, but I never got it to work until this
week).

I was also amazed that using vlc in Etch I was able to view UDP streams of MP4
trascodes on my wireless LAN!  Video never worked like this either.

On the whole, Linux is improving in these areas.  Still a lot to be desired,
no doubt, but kudos to the people working on these things.  Video/audio aren't
simple.

> By the way, the "forever fix" for Linux audio issues seems to be... "Buy
> a cheap SB Live card and disable the on-board sound".  They always work
> right.  :-)

Yes.  I also like the old Ensoniq 1370 cards.  They always work right too, and
sound great as well.  Then the Soundblaster guys bought them so the advice is
back to "get a cheap SB Live card" I suppose.

Normally the first thing I do when I set up a new motherboard is disable all
the on-board perhipherals except USB and IDE.  That stuff just never seems to
work right, even with the "good" brand motherboards.