[lug] Spam solutions

Steve Webb steve at badcheese.com
Mon Jan 22 10:34:30 MST 2007

My company's rejected email actually has fallen off since around mid-Dec:

http://mail.pronto.com/mrtg/mail.rejected-year.png
(chart is based on RTBL rejection only).

I use: sendmail -> RTBL -> bogofilter -> spamassassin -> inbox

I put bogofilter before spamassassin because it's less resource-intensive
and it's actually one of the better filters that I've found.  I've got
about 50 users on my server and it seems to catch almost everything pretty
well.

* RTBL catches most of the old-timer "known" spammers by IP (these are
going away quickly though)
* bogofilter is good at catching the Stock-pumping stuff (if trained to do
so), nigerian email and the random words to try to confuse your baysean
filter that email from this account is good.
* spamassassin is only good if kept patched - it seems to be the popular
one to use, so most of the spammers write stuff to get around spamassassin
first.

I set up two email addresses on my server so that users can bounce false
positives or false negatives through the system and it'll train bogofilter
at a system-wide level so one user can train the whole system (like
gmail).

Using these three together, I get about 1-2 spam emails every couple of
weeks, and a couple of false positives every couple of week, but it's nice
and quiet now and that's what email's supposed to be like.  :)

- Steve

--
EMAIL: (h) steve at badcheese.com  WEB: http://badcheese.com/~steve