[lug] How to add modules to rpm-installed Perl?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Jan 24 19:53:27 MST 2007

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 18:18:50 -0700
bthoen at gisnet.com (Bill Thoen) wrote:

> I suppose this is dead easy, but I'm not sure how to proceed. I've
> got Perl on my Fedora Core 6 box, but I need to add the DBI module.
> My Perl was installed as an rpm package, and I have yum working. But
> can I just install this module with yum, or do I need to get it from
> CPAN and follow their instructions? I just don't want to have a mixed
> install if there's an easy way to add to the rpm database.

# yum list 'perl-DBI*'
Finished
Installed Packages
perl-DBI.i386                            1.52-1.fc6
installed Available Packages
perl-DBIx-ContextualFetch.noarch         1.03-2.fc6
extras perl-DBIx-DBSchema.noarch                0.31-2.fc6
extras perl-DBIx-SearchBuilder.noarch           1.45-1.fc6
extras

So, should just be 'yum install perl-DBI'

You can use yum list 'whatever*' to search the available packages.

yum info 'whatever' gives you more info on what a package is before you
install it.

> Thanks,
> - Bill Thoen

kevin