[lug] Configuring the screensaver

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 16 16:17:50 MST 2007

Ken MacFerrin wrote:
>> Gary Hodges wrote:

>>> That's the command I was looking for.  xscreensaver wasn't installed on
>>> my computer (Kubuntu 6.06 LTS).  I installed it but it seems to be
>>> blocked from taking over whatever screensaver KDE uses by default with
>>> Kubuntu.
>> You can change this by replacing the /usr/kde/3.5/bin/kdesktop_lock
>> binary with an executable shell script containing the following:
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> xscreensaver-command -lock
>>

> A bit more detailed info:
> http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/man1.html#10

Thanks for the tip/link.  I went through and it is working.
xscreensaver includes a lot more screen savers than the default KDE
install.  FWIW, I have so far found the following four to completely
lock X up:  Galaxy, Julia, FadePlot, Hopalong.  I have to remote log in
a reboot.  With the KDE default screen savers, Lorenz Attractor locks X.