[lug] OT: Scanning and OCRing

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Feb 17 11:29:04 MST 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 07:34:41PM -0700, Craig Talbert wrote:
>afford it anyway :), but I'm wondering if there's anyone here who has
>ever digitized on this kind of scale who can point me in the right

Bell and Howell has some scanners that have a 500 page input hopper, and
will scan both sides of the page as it passes through the device.  As I
recall, it'll scan a page in just a few seconds, less than 10 I'm fairly
sure.  As far as I know, it as open source drivers available for it, or at
least when I wrote the driver for it the company that was paying me for it
said they were going to try to get it included in SANE.  I didn't really
follow it after I built it.

The problem is that these devices are not cheap.  I got the impression they
were in the $10k range.

I've only played passingly with the different OCR programs, but I haven't
had much luck.

Sean
--
 When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my
 religion.  -- Abraham Lincoln