[lug] Printing on ubuntu 6.06.1

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Feb 19 13:36:15 MST 2007

siegfried wrote:

>I have posted the results at
>
>http://www.heintze.com/tmp/default.html

Looking at the logs, and at your recent email, it looks like you found
the answer: It wants authentication. From the logs I believe all of the
print jobs are still there, cached, ready to print as soon as you figure
out authentication. Tons of entries like this:
D [18/Feb/2007:07:35:36 -0700] Loading job 20 from cache...

Then, it appears there is an entry for each of those, like this:
D [18/Feb/2007:07:35:40 -0700] cupsdAcceptClient: 5 from localhost (Domain)
D [18/Feb/2007:07:35:40 -0700] cupsdReadClient: 5 POST / HTTP/1.1
D [18/Feb/2007:07:35:40 -0700] cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data
provided.
D [18/Feb/2007:07:35:40 -0700] CUPS-Get-Printers
D [18/Feb/2007:07:35:40 -0700] cupsdProcessIPPRequest: 5 status_code=0
(successful-ok)

You are indeed using IPP protocol, which is an extension to normal HTTP
web. Probably the printer itself has a web interface which you can
configure from. Just about every printer using IPP has a default user
name like "admin" in order to configure things, and most of these come
with no password initially set, or the password "0". If you have docs,
find out what IP address or other web interface access method you have
to reach the configuration web page inside of the printer (I'm not sure
how one would access a web page on a USB device that isn't a real
network device). Or maybe look for cups setup for giving a name and pass
to this IPP printer definition. Notice that in the web interface for
cups (http://localhost:631) that there is a manage printers section, and
that IPP printers have a url like this:
http://printer:631/ipp/printers/queue1

I have a feeling that if you get the right url and the name/pass parts,
it'll work. Just in case it does work, be ready for all those queued
jobs to perhaps start printing.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net