[lug] tips on upgrading a WRT54G

steve at badcheese.com steve at badcheese.com
Mon Mar 12 08:23:36 MDT 2007

I've done the dd-wrt upgrade (router works better now than with the
linksys firmware) on a V5 WRT54G.  The only thing that I'd worry about is
the rev of your router.  It sounds like since you've had it for 2 years
that it's an earlier rev and it'll be easy to upgrade, but make sure you
know the rev of your AP before you upgrade because there are different
procedures for different revs.

dd-wrt is by far the best (but the tomato one has some slick javascript
live traffic charts that I wouldn't mind having) IMHO but it's open
source, so try one out, then try another if you'd like.  That's the cool
thing about this kind of hardware hack - you can switch back and forth and
try them all out if you want to.

- Steve

EMAIL: (h) steve at badcheese.com  WEB: http://badcheese.com/~steve