[lug] Tax Time Security

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Fri Mar 16 21:52:37 MDT 2007

siegfried wrote:
> Does anyone know of a tax CPA that can accept GNU Cash files instead of
> Quick book files?
>

> I have GNU Cash on my "to do" list of things to learn. But if I did convert
> to it, would I need a CPA that runs GNU cash (or could I extract the data to
> QuickBooks compatible files)?
>

> So presently my bookkeeper and CPA are expressing dismay that I refuse to
> send my quickbook files thru email. My bookkeeper said she recently sent the
> quickbook files for a (I'm guessing) 50 employee client of hers thru email
> to a CPA.
>

> I'm having to make another car trip to the next town because my CPA cannot
> read my quickbook files from the CD I made him. For some reason, he wants
> quickbook backup files instead of the actual quick book data files. We don't
> understand why he cannot read the quick book data files.
>

> So these quick book files contain credit card numbers and social security
> numbers and all my banking and credit card transactions.
>

> My CPA thinks I'm crazy because everyone else sends their quickbook files to
> him thru email.
>

> I tried to educate my CPA about hushmail last year but he was not open to
> it.
>

> What is your opinion? Do you send this kind of information thru email?
>

> Does the bookkeeper of the company you work for send your SSN thru email to
> a CPA?

Get another CPA that respects client privacy. If they are so lax about handling
sensitive data in email, they are also probably sloppy about paper documents,
i.e. they probably don't shred things but just dump things in the trash so
thieves can easily get financial info.

You could remind them that they could end being liable if you suffer
identity from identity theft because of them.