[lug] Tax Time Security

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Mar 16 23:21:41 MDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 09:52:37PM -0600, Lee Woodworth wrote:
>siegfried wrote:
>>What is your opinion? Do you send this kind of information thru email?

Only encrypted via GPG.

>>Does the bookkeeper of the company you work for send your SSN thru email to
>>a CPA?

Absolutely not.  Our CPA was slightly surprised that we'd select a long,
random PIN for our accounts, instead of using like 4 digits of our SSNs or
the like.  However, they seem to have no problems with keeping our
information secure.

>You could remind them that they could end being liable if you suffer
>identity from identity theft because of them.

Of course, if you can prove one led to the other...

Which reminds me of a story.  Evelyn recently got notified that her credit
card number was stolen.  She called her card issuer, they conference called
the vendor who made this charge, who said the e-mail address associated
with the charge was (something like) "efm-<computer term>4me at example.com".
So our per-vendor e-mail addresses allowed us to track who leaked this
information.

Now, the even more interesting thing was that the vendor who made the bad
charge was named something like "angles4me".  Which I imagine is a porn
site.  The similarity in name makes me wonder what is going on there...
The hardware I bought from the computer side arrived with no problem.

Sean
--
 I like to be different, so I built a lowercase a-frame house.
                 -- Sean Reifschneider, 2000