[lug] recommendation for a 64bit laptop

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Apr 18 04:58:55 MDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 09:47:37AM -0600, Gary Hodges wrote:
>machine with 2GB RAM.  I initially installed Kubuntu 64 and 64 bit IDL.
> I forget the exact times, but one of my programs ran in about 10

Probably an issue either with how you built the code or with the code
itself.  I mean, I have tested things like code that uses native 64-bit
ints on a 32-bit platform.  That had a significant performance impact,
compared to using the 32-bit ints.

That's one of the few times I've seen significant performance differences
between a 32 and 64 bit distro on the same hardware.

Sean
--
 "I can sum it up in one word:  Indescribable!"  -- Gonzo
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/