[lug] recommendation for a 64bit laptop

steve at badcheese.com steve at badcheese.com
Wed Apr 18 12:52:45 MDT 2007

I've also gone the 64-bit route with my servers and have reverted back to
32-bit due to a couple of issues:

6GB of ram turns into just greater than 3GB of ram (pointers and many data
types are double the size when running in 64-bit mode).  C, perl, java all
use pointers pretty heavily and a 32-bit app re-compiled on a 64-bit
machine almost always bloats to near twice the resident size in memory.

Also, drivers are usually run in 64-bit compatibility mode when running in
a 64-bit kernel.  This is not a native 64-bit driver and instead of being
faster is actually slower than in 32-bit mode.  Drivers that I know of
being this way: Adaptec & LSI RAID controller cards.

In short, stick with 32-bit unless you need memory access > 6GB in a
single process.  Many performance improvements can be achieved with
dual-core and it'll be much more noticable than running in 64-bit mode.

I've never actually installed any 64-bit kernel on a laptop though, just
servers.  :)

- Steve

--
EMAIL: (h) steve at badcheese.com  WEB: http://badcheese.com/~steve