[lug] RAID installation on Fedora 6 Zod

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri May 11 15:25:52 MDT 2007

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 01:44:48PM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
>Linux needs to catch up to that!

Linux software RAID has done this for at least a decade.  It's had to,
because of the possibility that SCSI discs will move around when devices
are added or removed.  This is why there is the "Linux RAID autodetect"
partition type.  The system will look at those partitions and use the
RAID meta-data on them to reconstruct RAID arrays, even if the drives have
moved around.

The 3ware cards also store meta-data on the drives and can deal with drives
moving around.  Of course, this means that you can't just take an existing
drive with data on it and have the RAID mirror it, because the meta-data is
stored in the drive data area.  Ditto for the software RAID.  I know in the
software RAID, it's stored at the end of the partition, so you can just
resize the file-system a bit smaller, if supported, and RAID it after that.

Sean
--
 Early morning cheerfulness can be extremely obnoxious.
                 -- William Feather