[lug] RAID installation on Fedora 6 Zod

Dan Ferris dan at usrsbin.com
Fri May 11 19:54:41 MDT 2007

We use Linux software RAID heavily at work and have extremely good luck
with it.  I prefer it to the 3ware type cards as long as I have SCSI or
SATA drives.  The ATA seems to work ok, but not nearly as well as SATA.

However..

Having used Solstice Disk Suite/Solaris Volume Manager and FreeBSD GEOM,
the Linux software RAID implementation is a joke.  On a Sun box, to make
the root partition a mirror is as easy as doing metainit on a few
slices, metaroot on the root slice and then a reboot then attach the
second slice.  On FreeBSD it's as easy as setting the geom debug flags
and going a gmirror on the desired partition, changing fstab and
rebooting.  With Linux the same operation requires either a reinstall or
a lot of trouble to copy data from one disk to another.

Also Sun makes hot swapping disks SO much easier than in Linux, but I
digress.

Solaris and FreeBSD definatly have the right idea.  The Linux Software
RAID needs to play some catchup.  There is no reason in my mind why it
can't be a few simple steps to set up RAID.

Hey Nate, what do you guys do with the Sun system disks?  Obviously for
data, you would use something like an EMC or Hitachi array with
redundant active/active controllers, redundant power supplies, redundant
fans, etc.  In our V240s and T2000s there is no hardware RAID.  You have
to use Solaris Volume Manager for mirroring and the drives are easily
hot swappable.  I also know that the E450 and E450R have no hardware
RAID either.  I'm not sure about the higher end Sun hardware.  I never
got to play much with the V1280s we had at Webex.

Dan

Dan

--
When Chuck Norris parties he doesn't throw up, he throws down